Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

The Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) is a points tested visa which does not require you to be nominated by a state or territory government or sponsored by a relative living in a designated area of Australia. You must be under 45 years old and have demonstrable qualifications and skills that are in short supply in Australia.

In order to apply for this visa you must first make an 'Expression of Interest' (EoI) through SkillSelect and, if your points score meets the current threshold, you may be invited to apply for a visa. Invitations are made through regular invitation rounds and only the highest scoring applicants are being invited to apply for this visa. 

If you are offshore you can generally claim points based on:

  • Your age, which must be under 45 at the time of invitation
  • Your qualifications which are assessed through a skills assessment,
  • Your work experience in your nominated or a closely related occupation
  • The level of your English language skills, which even native English speakers can enhance through a test
  • Whether your partner can obtain a positive skills assessment
It may also be possible to obtain additional points based on:
  • Whether you have obtained any Australian educational qualifications
  • Whether you have studied in regional Australia
  • Whether you are qualified to interpret or translate a community language
  • Whether you have specific experience in the Australian workforce

In order to apply for a Skilled Independent visa, you need to nominate an occupation that is on the current skills shortage list and obtain a positive skills assessment through the appropriate assessing body. You then need to submit an EoI and wait to be invited. Once invited you must submit your visa application within 60 days. In addition to your skills and experience, you will need to meet Australia's character and health requirements for migrants.

SunCoast Migration is able to advise you on whether you meet the exacting criteria for this desirable visa and, if so, manage or assist with your complete application. Please contact us for an  initial assessment of your situation.

Updated: 17Spe18