Resident Return Visa (subclass 155 and subclass 157)

Although a permanent visa for Australia allows the holder to remain in Australia indefinitely, once the initial five year travel facility on your first permanent visa has expired, you will need a Resident Return visa, commonly known as an RRV, to travel to and from Australia whilst retaining your permanent residence status. If you are offshore and the travel facility on your permanent visa has expired, you are a former permanent resident and have no automatic right to return as a permanent resident.

To apply for an RRV,  you must be:
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • a former permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
  • a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship.
If you have spent a total of at least two years in the last five in Australia, as an Australian permanent resident or citizen, then you will be eligible for a five year RRV, enabling you to travel to and from Australia and maintain your permanent residency.

If you do not meet this residence requirement you may still be eligible for a one year RRV if you have substantial personal, business, employment or cultural ties to Australia, that are of benefit to Australia. In addition, if you have been away from Australia for a period of more than five years, you must also show that there were compelling reasons for this absence.

If you have not yet established substantial ties to Australia, but have spent at least one day in the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident, then you may be eligible for a three month, subclass 157, Resident Return visa if you can demonstrate compassionate and compelling circumstances around your reasons for leaving Australia.

SunCoast Migration is experienced in helping current and former permanent residents who do not meet the two year residency requirement to apply for an RRV to keep or reactivate their Australian permanent residency. Please contact us for an assessment of your likely eligibility.